Can You Eat Daffodils?

You love the look of daffodils and you know that edible flowers are now a thing for decorating cakes and pimping up salads so can you eat those vibrant, sunshine-yellow flowers…

The Quick Answer

Can You Eat Daffodils?

You cannot eat daffodils. It’s as simple as that. Daffodils can poison you if you were to eat them. This is an easy rule to follow if you’re an adult but it’s worth not planting daffodils in your garden if you have either children and/or pets that may ingest them without knowing the dangers.

Daffodils might appear innocent from the outside but daffodils are actually incredibly poisonous and toxic. This is the case for all parts of the daffodil too: The flowers, the leaves and the bulb. They might look nice but they truly are a silent killer. 

You can use the links below to jump through this article to the section you’re most interested in:

Dangers of Eating Daffodils

When it comes to eating daffodils, there are two main causes of toxicity:

Lycorine in Daffodil Bulbs

The first toxic chemical that can be found in daffodils is lycorine. It is actually common in a lot of flowering plants. Fortunately, you won’t get poisoned from touching the bulbs and you’re only like to get sick from consuming a little. It’s when you consume a lot of the bulb that they become highly toxic. This is actually the case for both humans and animals so it’s worth bearing in mind if you have dogs or cats at home.

Calcium Oxalate Crystals in Daffodil Plants

Calcium oxalate crystals are the other dangerous element in daffodils and can actually be found in the leaves and plants. Some people will get a minor reaction solely from touching the plants which can lead to ‘lily rash’. That’s why it’s advisable to wear gloves when handling daffodils.

The symptoms and effects are far greater if you were to ingest the leaves and the side effects can be quite dramatic.

Side Effects from Eating Daffodils

If you accidentally ingest daffodils then there are a range of side effects you may experience depending on the part of the plant you have consumed and the toxic element that is affecting you. These side effects can include:

Diarrhoea and Nausea – This is the main side effect of lycorine poisoning. In general, any form of stomach problem is likely to be attributed to being poisoned by your daffodils.

Burning in the Mouth – Calcium oxalate crystals can cause immediate pain, particularly in the mouth. It will give you a strong burning sensation which can then lead to difficulty swelling, hoarseness and swelling in the throat.

Ultimately, the side effects of eating daffodils are similar to the side effects you will experience when eating anything toxic. Your body will do its best to get rid of the poison.

What to Do If You Eat Daffodils

If you’re experiencing the side effects above and happen to have handled daffodils recently then there is a chance you have been poisoned. If your vomiting is not too severe, then continue to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration but your body will continue to flush the poison out the best it can.

If symptoms last for an extended period of time, however, then you will want to visit your local A&E or doctor’s surgery. In the UK, ringing 111 would be your best next step.

Other Questions about Eating Daffodils

Below are some other questions people often ask when it comes to eating daffodils. If you do find yourself with further questions, however, then please do ask in the comments area at the bottom of this page:

Can Dogs Eat Daffodils?

Daffodils are highly toxic to both dogs and cats so if you have either of these pets then it might be best to avoid planting daffodils in your garden as it will be challenging to stop them being curious and potentially ingesting these toxic plants.

Can Dogs Eat Daffodils

Can Rabbits Eat Daffodils?

Although wild bunnies hop around daffodils in the wild, this doesn’t mean they are safe for them. Generally speaking, anything grown from a bulb can be poisonous to rabbits so it’s something we would avoid planting in the garden.